Sunday 19 February 2017

Amas - filled & faired

I am so "sick up and fed" with filling and sanding! I no longer care how smooth the final product is! I think I should have put some filler in the first coat of resin that I sealed the foam with. That would have made the process much easier. As it was, I was sanding filled resin and unwaxed resin both. The unwaxed resin rolls off and clogs the sandpaper; filled, it sands well. (Using polyester resin.)

For filler, I used half micro balloons and half magnesium silicate (talc).

Anyway, I'm done now. I put together a little cradle out of some foam scraps, so that the hulls wouldn't move around while I'm glassing them:


John has suggested that I glass half at a time, from centreline around to centreline, so that there's an overlap along the centre, making somewhat of a spine for added strength and stiffness. Sounds like a good idea to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment